Sunday, August 17, 2014

OBSIDIAN BY JENNIFER L. ARMENTROUT














About the book
Series: LUX series
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release: 2011
Publishing company: Entangled Teen
Pages: 335

Synopsis
Starting over sucks. When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring...until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up. And then he opened his mouth. Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me. You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. If I don't kill him first, that is. // Source

My review
WHY THE FUCK IS THIS SO OVERHYPED?

i have to admit that i definitely was prejudiced against this book since i heard someone calling it 'twilight with aliens' and a few booktubers raving about the 'hot topless aliens' in this series. i actually never planned on reading obsidian but i came to the conclusion that i, a huge sci-fi-lover, will give armentrout's lux series a chance and forget about all the negative comments. i really wanted to be surprised, i WANTED to like it, i wanted this book to turn out to be a great YA science fiction novel but it truly wasn't. 

I HAVE NEVER BEEN THIS ANNOYED BY A BOOK BEFORE.

i don't get why this is classified as sci-fi. it's just an unoriginal, cheesy paranormal romance novel (which actually is incorrect as well since the two protagonists don't even end up together cause they're too stubborn and annoying AND FUCKING ANNOYING) with about three.. no, lets say five sentences in it in which daemon 'annoying' black tells katy that he is an alien. the part in which armentrout explains what the aliens in this story are 'made of' and where they come from was kind of interesting, even though it didn't blew me away. that part actually had potential, but the author totally ignored that and decided to go on with annoying me with a shirtless rude daemon and katy who couldn't resist denying her obvious beauty all the freaking time. 

have i already mentioned that the romance between the main characters annoyed me to death? because it did. daemon insults katy and treats her like she's worth less than a piece of shit but the female protagonist still is attracted to him (which she denies to admit, does it surprise you?) since he looks good and is shirtless 90% of the book. of course, who would not make out with a guy who treats me like shit just because he looks good? ARRRRRGHH. i just don't get why so many booktubers / book bloggers admire daemon black so much, he's a rude, sexist, arrogant dickhead to me.

i already told you what i didn't like about katy's character, but i actually did enjoy reading about her personality at times. that's why i rated obsidian as a two-star-book instead of a one-star one, even though i was close to giving it the worst rating possible on this website (which is one star, if you didn't know yet). she is a book blogger and lover, which i obviously could relate to, and sometimes, her comments could make me smirk a litte bit. but that's all i liked about this book, which is sad.

i know that this series is a favourite of a lot of book lovers out there. i'm sorry if i insulted you in any way, but i'm pretty angry at obsidian. i truly don't get the hype surrounding it.

My rating: 1.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment